Immanuel United Church of Christ was formed on October 15, 1890 by Reverend P. L Weil. It was chartered under the name “Deutsche Evangelische Immanuels Gemeinde”. In 1934 the Evangelical Synod of North American joined with the General Synod of the Reformed Church and the name was changed to “Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church”. In 1957, the Evangelical and Reformed Church united with the Congregational Christian Church at their bi-annual meeting and so in 1959 the church became known as “Immanuel United Church of Christ.”
The original church was located at 344-352 Sibley Street and renumbered to 700-712 Sibley Street, Hammond, Indiana. In June 1971, this building was sold and a new church built at 2201 Azalea Drive, Highland, Indiana.
In this book, the church records that have been transcribed from the original records, some written in old style German script and consist of:
- Baptisms – 1890 – 1969
complete names of the infant and the sponsors and addresses in some cases, birth dates included when known
- Confirmations – 1892 – 1943
addresses in some cases.
- Marriages – 1893 – 1969
names of sponsors, some register and license numbers, ages and addresses.
- Deaths – 1890 – 1969
place of birth, place of funeral, funeral home and bible verse used.
H/ = Husband
S/ = Son
W/ = Wife
D/ = Daughter
F/ = Father